The GSAÉD’s emergency grants are meant to assist graduate students registered in a graduate studies program at the University of Ottawa who are in dire financial need due to unforeseen circumstances (i.e. illness, fire, theft, family emergency). The maximum amount one can receive through the emergency grant program is $250.
How to apply for an e-grant
- You must be registered (full-time or part-time) in a graduate program at the University of Ottawa. If a member applies in a term in which they are not registered, they may be eligible to receive the e-grant on the condition that they will be registered in the subsequent term.
- You must provide a written account of attempts to obtain financial assistance from other sources, including the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FGPS), and the Financial Aid office. If the student is a Research or Teacher Assistant, s.he must also go to CUPE 2626 – which may also give some financial aid when a student has an emergency.
- Download and fill out the E-grant Application Form or the Phoenix Pay System E-grant Application Form. The following information must be provided:
- Personal information, including your student number. Your name must appear as it appears on your University record.
- An estimate of your expenses for the semester.
- An estimate of your revenues for the semester.
- An account of the circumstances justifying the need for an e-grant.
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will received a confirmation within 2-3 days. If you do not receive a confirmation, please resend the form.
- You must also submit a printed and signed copy of the e-grant form to our office (601 Cumberland st.), along with a proof of registration in a graduate program.
Applications are received by the Finance Commissioner, and shall be evaluated by the e-grant committee, formed by the Internal Commissioner, the Finance Commissioner and the Executive Coordinator, which will evaluate each case. Situations deemed not urgent will be refused e-grant. The decision of the committee is final.
- The maximum amount for an e-grant is $250.
- A maximum of 20 e-grants will be available per fiscal year. You can only receive one e-grant per fiscal year (May-April).
- A maximum of 10 e-grants will be available during the first half of the fiscal year (May-October).