GSAÉD Scholarships

We would like to introduce to our members the new GSAÉD Inclusive Research Scholarship

GSAÉD has developed a new scholarship that aims to assist certain student groups that are likely to be underfunded and to support students working on research topics that are prone to underfunding.

We are aware that graduate students depend on their bursaries to succeed in graduate studies and that their mental health and academic performance are affected by the search for long-term funding. For these reasons, GSAÉD would like to offer up to $ 2,000 in scholarship throughout the year to try to fill the gaps in university and government underfunding.

Each semester (fall and winter only), two (2) graduate students will receive one (1) Inclusive Research Scholarship worth $ 500 each. A different theme will be chosen each semester by the Campaign Committee to allow more graduates to have a chance to win and to cover more research topics as possible that may be underfunded.

The theme of the scholarship for the winter semester concerns  racialized women. If you identify yourself and/or work on a related topic, you have until March 22nd, 2018 8pm to submit a short essay of 500 to 1000 words.

For more information on the selection criteria, please consult this  document.

Once complete, you can submit your application to our University Affairs Commissioner at

Breastfeeding room

Parents on campus, whether they’re students, staff, faculty or administration, now have a private and secure location to breastfeed their children on campus thanks to the Graduate Students Association’s student-parent advocacy and work with the University of Ottawa since January 2014.

A nursing room was officially opened in Room 323B on the third-floor of the University Centre (UCU) in 2016. The room is accessible by a code available at the GSAED office, the Women’s Resource Centre, the SFUO office and the Community Life office. The room is equipped with two comfortable chairs, a change table, a microwave and fridge, free diapers and children’s toys. The room is also secured with a safety phone line that connects to Protection Services in case of an emergency.

The nursing room is accessible to anyone on campus who wishes to breast feed or just spend some quiet time with their baby or toddler.

Business Cards

GSAÉD provides official uOttawa business cards to graduate students. Cards are offered in English and/or French. To place your order, drop in at any time during regular business hours.

Orders require seven business days to process and we only accept credit card payments.

A minimum order of 100 cards, and costs vary based on order size:

  • 100 cards: $ 19.91
  • 200 cards: $ 21.65
  • 250 cards: $ 22.7
  • 2300 cards: $ 24.07
  • 400 cards: $ 26.08
  • 500 cards: $ 28.80

Café Nostalgica

Go to the second floor of the Grad House for a sticker that shows your graduate student status. Show this sticker and get a 15% discount on your non-alcoholic beverages and foodstuffs at Café Nostalgica.

Sporting events

The GSAÉD has negotiated discounts on attendance at local sporting events:

  • Ottawa Champions Baseball Club

Promo code: UOTTAWA ($8)

  • Ottawa Redblacks Football

Promo code: UORB ($26.50)

  • Ottawa Fury FC Soccer

Student price ($14)

  • Ottawa 67’s Junior Ice Hockey

Student price ($14)

  • Ottawa Senators Ice Hockey

Promo code: SSA (25% off the ticket price)

Equity Service Centres

In partnership with the SFUO, GSAÉD provides a number of equity service centres for their members to engage with as resources and rallying points:

The Bilingualism Centre

The Centre for Students with Disabilities

The Food Bank The Foot Patrol

The International House

The Pride Centre The Student Rights Centre

The Sustainable Development Centre

The Women’s Resource Centre

Ethical Purchasing

The Canadian Federation of Students-Services offers a number of programs and services in order to meet the unique needs of students and to help students’ union save money. By combining students’ unions’ promotional material orders from across the country, we can achieve economies of scale. By purchasing in bulk, we can buy high-quality materials at substantially lower prices than any campus organisation could secure individually. By dealing directly with manufacturers, like the Single Mothers’ Cooperative of El Salvador, the Canadian Federation of Students brings workers and purchasers closer together so that we know exactly how our materials are made.

Fair Trade and Union-Made

Through this service, students’ unions like the GSAÉD directly impact the shape of the promotional materials industry. When we purchase union or cooperatively made materials, other companies feel obligated to offer products that are made under ethical conditions and respect workers’ rights to organize.

Sweatshop-Free Campuses

Holding a sweatshop-free event or adopting a sweatshop-free purchasing policy is an easy way to reduce the impact on the environment and promote ethical labour standards. This service provides students’ unions with union and cooperatively made materials to ensure that our campuses are sweat-free.

With certain minimum order sizes, the GSAÉD can purchase mugs, water bottles, pens, highlighters, lanyards, buttons, t-shirts, tote bags, and notebooks, with or without customised artwork.

If you would like to place an order on behalf of your departmental students’ association, or for questions or inquiries about the ethical purchasing service, contact the Internal Commissioner at

Financial Aid

If you participate in conferences as a graduate student, you may be eligible for a GSAÉD Academic Project Fund. Click  here for criteria, deadlines, and forms.

If your association organises academic events and they are sponsored by your institute, school or department, you may also apply for funding. Click  here for more information.

For details on emergency grants available to students in dire financial need due to unforeseen circumstances,  click here.

Insurance Coverage

Service provider: GreenShield Canada

Customer service: 1-888-711-1119


Benefit Booklet  2020-2021

Your Greenshield Account

Greenshield Online Account Instructions (PDF)

Greenshield Online Account Instructions (Video)

Insurance Card (To Print)

Opt-in online form 2020-2021

General claim submission form (To Print) 


For Quebec Residents Only

Quebec Residents: Opt-out for prescription drug coverage 2020-2021 (NB: Please provide a copy of your health insurance card)

Québec residents: Opt-in form 2020-2021

Insurance card (for Québec residents)

Viator – Travel Insurance  Information booklet Travel insurance claim form


UHIP – University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) [for international students]

UHIP InformationThis benefit is managed by the International Office.

International Office Tabaret Hall, Room M386 550 Cumberland Street Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5 CANADA

Tel: +1 613 562 5847 Fax: +1 613 562 5100 Email:


The coverage period is from September 1 to August 31.

However, claims can only be submitted as of the end of October.

The GreenShield health and dental insurance plan includes coverage for professional health services, prescription drugs, dental care, eye examinations and glasses and travel insurance. This plan is provided to the GSAÉD’s membership through the Canadian Federation of Students’ National Student Health Network. Through negotiations with Canada’s only not-for-profit insurance provider, Greenshield, the Canadian Federation of Students offers the most comprehensive set of benefits available through a campus health plan.

All full-time students starting in September are automatically covered under the plan. Part-time students and those starting in January can opt-in. Students can also pay a supplemental premium to cover their spouse or family.

If you wish to opt out of the health and/or dental insurance plan, the only way to do so is via your  uoZone account. From there, click on Finances and jobs, choose Opt-out and provide the information requested by the insurance company. You must apply to opt out every school year that you do not want insurance coverage through the GSAÉD. You have to enter information regarding your comparable coverage with another insurance plan. A confirmation will be sent to you and a credit will be applied automatically to your uOttawa student account. Please note that the provincially administered health plans (OHIP, QHIP, and UHIP) do not constitute comparable coverage for the purposes of deregistration from the Greenshield group insurance offered by the GSAÉD.

Please note that if you receive a 100% financial credit from the University because you submitted your thesis or withdrew from all your courses before the Fall deadline to do so (September 28), you will also receive a refund for the insurance plan and will no longer be covered by it. This does not apply to the Winter session. Note, too, that while undergraduate students at the University of Ottawa are also covered by Greenshield Canada, they are covered under a different insurance policy. Graduate students should be sure that they are using the policy number 23785 and identification number starting with GSA.

For students who reside in Québec, please note these informations:

Q – Can I have both insurances; RAMQ and GSAÉD (Greenshield Insurance)?

A- Yes, but the RAMQ insurance is the primary insurance, and the Green Shield Canada insurance is the secondary. Therefore, all reimbursement requests must first be sent to RAMQ, and then sent to Green Shield Canada.

Q – May I opt out of my RAMQ medication insurance coverage?

A – The Quebec government does not consider the Graduate Student Association of the University of Ottawa to be a “professional organization”, therefore, they do not allow students who reside in Quebec to opt out of the RAMQ medication insurance.

Please note that you do have the option of opting out of the GSAÉD Health coverage at the beginning of the fall semester. However, be advised that if you do so, you will lose the other coverage offered under the GSAÉD health plan such as paramedical services, vision care and travel insurance


Travel Insurance

A summary of your travel insurance benefits can be found in the  Travel Insurance Booklet. Here is your  Travel Insurance Card.

For assistance with a travel insurance claim, for coverage inquiries, or for travel confirmation letters, please contact Global Excel Management Inc., the company appointed by the Insurer to provide medical assistance and claims services under the policy, directly at toll free 1.866.870.1898 or 819.566.1898.

Note that the Graduate Students Association is not able to sign a document for proof of travel insurance. To obtain such a letter, you may contact the insurance brokerage at least two weeks before you require it by writing to

To extend your coverage beyond the coverage period shown below, please contact RSA Travel Insurance Inc. at toll free 1.877.562.5412 or 819.562.5412.

While travelling, please ensure to carry the Medical Assistance card provided to you on the RSA Travel Insurance Inc.’s website.

International Student Identity Card

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is a service offered by GSAÉD due to our membership in the Canadian Federation of Students. It identifies you as a student worldwide and offers you discounts in Canada and abroad. To obtain an ISIC card, visit the office of the GSAÉD in room GSD 204.

For more information,  visit the ISIC card site.

Mental Health 

The GSAÉD is united with 12 other graduate student unions in Ontario through the Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario. Together, our Federation engaged in a two-year research project to identify and document the experiences of Ontario graduate students that negatively affect their mental health. Through the Not in the Syllabus survey, just over 2,000 graduate students from across the province were asked about their experiences with bullying and harassment on their respective campuses along with the resulting impacts on their mental health. This factsheet outlines some of the provincial survey results and highlights the experiences of graduate students at the University of Ottawa.

Supporting Graduate Student Mental Health at the University of Ottawa

Mental Health Resources

GSAED Health Plan

Allows students to get a reimbursement of $80 per visit for psychologist up to 700$ (combined with all professional services). The Psychologist has to be registered and recognized by Green Shield (GSAÉD’s health care provider – this provision can be found on page 8 of the uOttawa GSAÉD benefit booklet).The Student Support Program is an additional, complimentary benefit for all covered graduate students. The program provides access to Short-term Professional Counselling for personal and emotional issues. Students can choose from a variety of delivery methods to best suit your comfort level and lifestyle including in-person (off campus), telephonic, e-counselling, instant video, text-based self-paced online chat with a counselor. The program is completely confidential within the limits of the law. No one will ever know that a student has used the service unless they choose to tell them.

If a student is currently seeing an onsite counsellor through the University, they may continue to see that counsellor as this service will continue to be a part of the overall services provided by the University to students. Students can call 1.855.649.8641 or visit and sign up using the Organization name “GSAED” for full access to the SSP services and resources.

Student Support Program

We are pleased to announce that the GSAÉD is introducing a new service to graduate students with health & dental coverage through Green Shield Canada effective October 1st 2015; the Student Support Program (SSP). The SSP is an additional, complimentary benefit for all covered graduate students. The SSP is completely confidential within the limits of the law. No one will ever know that a student has used the service unless they choose to tell them. The program provides access to Short-term Professional Counselling for personal and emotional issues. Students can choose from a variety of delivery methods to best suit your comfort level and lifestyle including In-Person (off campus), Telephonic, E-Counselling, First Chat (instant online chat with a counsellor), Video, Text-based self-paced. If a student is currently seeing an onsite counsellor through the University, they may continue to see that counsellor as this service will continue to be a part of the overall services provided by the University to students.

Students can call 1.855.649.8641 or visit  the SSP Website and sign up using the Organization name “GSAED” for full access to the SSP services and resources.

SASS Counselling

There are several services available to uOttawa students via  SASS Counselling, such as peer counselling, personal counselling, pet therapy, coaching and various workshops. Workshops include: Skills for better Coping with Anxiety; Speak Up! Skills for better expressing your feelings related to anxiety; Exam Anxiety; and Self-Esteem, which deals with imposter syndrome and low self-esteem. Coaching is a confidential service for students who are functioning relatively normally but who strive to achieve optimal performance. The aim of coaching is to help students clarify their goals and identify action steps necessary to achieve these goals. Peer Counselling is staffed by students at uOttawa whom have been trained to listen and provide informal emotional support to assist you in achieving your goals. Personal Counselling is with a member of the uOttawa Counseling and Coaching Service.

Good to Talk Service

Provided by the Government of Ontario,  Good to Talk is a free, confidential and anonymous service. Professional counsellors are available 24hrs a day, 365 days a year to provide telephone counselling and referrals regarding mental health, addictions and well-being for post-secondary students.  1-866-925-5454.

Centre for Students with Disabilities

Staff and some of their volunteers are trained in active listening, and staff is trained in suicide alertness ( Safe Talk) and Suicide Prevention ( ASIST). Within their office hours, staff members of the Centre are available to listen if you need support, and to provide resources to you for more long-term support.

Peer Help Centre

This Centre has several services for uOttawa students. The Peer Support Help Line provides help and information to students facing everything from homesickness and academic stress to a wide variety of personal circumstances such as abuse, sexual identity confusion, family dynamics, and crisis situations. Referrals to other relevant services also will be made if so desired. The phone line is staffed by certified volunteers with extensive training from the Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region in active listening, call management, crisis intervention, suicide intervention, and limits and boundaries. This Centre also offers Active Listening/Peer Support Chat. This service is not designed to take the place of professional counseling, but simply offers students the opportunity to address their problems with an empathetic peer.

Women’s Resource Centre

Offers peer-to-peer support within an anti-oppression and feminist framework.

Pride Centre

Offers a confidential one-on-one active listening service to community members in need of a sympathetic ear. Their staff members have been trained in Active Listening, and they offer non-judgmental support to help you address any aspect of your sexual orientation, love life, identity, and/or gender. If you would like to come in and talk, you can book in advance via  e-mail phone, or  come by our office. Confidential private chats can be requested.

Canadian Federation of Students

Maintains a student wellness  website

University of Ottawa mental health services

Offer comprehensive bilingual assessments, diagnosis, and treatment for mood disorders, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, attention deficit disorder, and many other conditions; as well as support through life changes. Treatment is individualized and may include counselling, psychotherapy, and medication. Counselling sessions are usually restricted to 6-8 sessions. **  Please note that only those enrolled in the UOHS Family Health Team (FHT) are eligible for counselling services. All patients are eligible be referred to a psychiatrist where appropriate. There is no fee for  uOttawa mental health services.

Local organizations for mental health services

  • Crisis Line Ottawa  613-722-6914  or 1-866-996-0991
  • CAMH – Centre for Addiction and Mental HealthCMHA – Canadian Mental Health Association
  • Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa
  • Ottawa Mental Health Crisis Line (24h)  613-722-6914
  • Ottawa Distress Centre (24h)  613-238-3311
  • Assaulted Women’s Helpline (24h) 1-866-863-0511
  • Sexual Assault Support Centre of Ottawa (24h)  613-234-2266
  • YSB Crisis Line (24h)  613-260-2360
  • CAS Ottawa – Child Protection Issues  613-747-7800
  • Fem’aide – ligne de soutien   1-877-336-2433  (French only)
  • Tel-aide Outaouais (8am-Midnight)   613-741-6433 819-775-3223 (French only)
  • Kids’ Help Phone (24h)   1-800-668-6868
  • Tel-Jeune (24h)  1-800-263-2266

With regard to academic support, we have  the Student Academic Success Service (career development, writing help, aboriginal resource centre, student mentoring ), the  Graduate Student Mentoring Serviceand some faculties have their own mentoring service as well in regards to academics.

Room Reservations

GSAÉD is pleased to offer graduate students the possibility to rent study rooms and the multi-purpose room in our newly constructed Grad House (601 Cumberland).

You may reserve at the front desk or by submitting a completed  Grad House Event Space Application.

Multipurpose room 307

This multipurpose room is equipped with a projector and screen. It is perfect for a panel, a workshop or even a movie night. It seats 35 people, but the total capacity is 55. It is only available from 17:30 to 22:00 (exceptionally 23:00) during the week.

If you require the access to the multimedia tower (USB ports), be sure to get the e-card from Multimedia Services at least 48 hours before you require the room.

Note that a Special Occasions Permit is required if you are planning to sell or serve alcohol at your event in GSD 307. For information on how to obtain this permit, contact the Café Nostalgica Manager.

To inquire about room availability for GSD 307, please contact the Administration and Services Coordinator at or at 613.562.5935.

Study Room 209

This study room has a capacity of eight people (with tables and chairs) or 13 people (chairs only). It contains an oval table and chairs. It is suited for committee meetings and group study.

To inquire about room availability for GSD 209, please contact the Administration and Services Coordinator at or at 613.562.5935.

Grad Lounge

This room cannot be rented, but it always open for graduate students to use. You’ll find comfortable couches and armchairs, tables, a microwave, and a kids’ section.

Tax Filling is one of Canada’s leading online tax filing services. Despite the normal pricing for Ufile’s service – starting at $15.95 per use – members of the Canadian Federation of Students, which includes us, can use the tax filing programme for free all year round.

Follow this link to access

 How to file a tax form

To file for free, members must:

Sign in to a new or existing UFile account for the current tax yearEnter tuition fees and months at school (must file T2202a)Local the “Special Offer” form in UFile’s left hand navigationEnter the special offer code:  CFS1981 

(note: entering the code CFS1981 at check-out will not discount the tax file, the student must enter the code in the Special Offer section.)

Follow this link to access


Founded in 2007, the uOttawa U-Pass is a joint service of the Student Federation (SFUO) and the Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD), saving students $140 a year on public transit.

The U-Pass is automatically issued to full-time students living within the OC Transpo and Société de Transport de l’Outaouais (STO) service areas and is valid from September 1 to April 30.

Please note that since April 10th, the University of Ottawa now administer and distribute the U-Pass.

For more information on the service and its distribution, visit the University of Ottawa  website.


The GSAÉD provides a variety of services to its graduate student membership and supports many different campaigns on a local, provincial, and national level. To ensure effective services and modes of support, the Association relies on the hard work and dedication of our many volunteers. To recognize our volunteers and support the time and effort they put in, the GSAÉD has launched the volunteer page! Here you will be able to find information on the different committees of the Association, contact information, our Co-Curricular Record account and how to sign up, and upcoming volunteer appreciation events!

Our CommitteesThe GSAÉD committees are the foundation of the range of work that the association is able to accomplish each year. Each committee has its own roles and responsibilities and function as a team to set meeting times and action plans for Association projects. The number of hours that volunteers are expected to complete is based on the needs of the committee and the availability of the volunteer. The GSAÉD is always looking for new volunteers! If you are interested in any of the following committees, please contact the appropriate commissioner.

Committees of the University Affairs Commissioner,

University Affairs CommitteeThe purpose of the University Affairs Committee is to promote the academic interests of members of the Association and to undertake the development, implementation and maintenance of those academic initiatives of the Association, such as the Writing Consultation Program.

Committees of the Internal Commissioner,

By-laws and Constitution CommitteeThe purpose of the By-Laws and Constitution Committee is to act as advisory body of the Association on all issues pertaining to the internal regulations of the Association.

Committees of the External Commissioner,

Student Issues Action CommitteeThe purpose of the Student Issues Action Committee is to promote the political interests of members of the Association and to undertake the development, implementation and maintenance of all local campaign initiatives (research, public awareness, lobbying and mobilisation) of the Association and national or provincial students’ associations.

Board of Governors CoalitionIts purpose is to be able to positively influence the Board of Governors and as a result, improve the overall student experience at the University of Ottawa. The BoGC’s goals include reducing student fees, gaining more positions for student representatives on the BoG, and working towards creating a more democratic process for decision making within the BoG.

Committees of the Student Life Commissioner,

Social CommitteeThe purpose of the Social Committee is to oversee the social events programming of the Association.

Café Nostalgica CommitteeThe purpose of the Café Nostalgica Committee is to act in a management advisory capacity for the Café.

Committee of the Finance Commissioner,

Capital Building Fund CommitteeThe purpose of the Capital Building Fund Committee is to oversee the management of the Capital Building Fund of the Association.

Co-Curricular RecordInformation coming soon.

Volunteer Appreciation NightDecember 9, the GSAÉD is holding an invitation-only volunteer appreciation event for all of our amazing volunteers! Join us for an evening of savoury drinks and treats with good company and have all your hard work recognized! The event will be taking place at Café Nostalgica from 18:00 to 20:30.

GSAÉD Volunteer Awards

The GSAÉD Council created volunteer awards to recognize the exceptional involvement of its members in activities, initiatives, or campaigns of GSAÉD and departmental associations.

The Deadline for the application will be announced shortly. For more information, please contact Winners will be announced at the Annual General Assembly.